Saturday, September 20, 2008

Motherhood

Words cannot express how much I love my family! I've been thinking a lot about the blessings that have come to me because of the love, support, and innumerous prayers by the members of my family. The thought of family have been on my mind lately. A few days ago, I had a really good conversation with some girlfriends the about what it means to be a mother. Some of the things that I learned about Motherhood are as follows. Bearing children is only a small part of motherhood. You don't have to have your own children to be a mother. A mother is essentially love. When you love --all of God's children-- you're in fact practicing and using motherhood. After having this rather deep conversation, I walked away thinking of all the children I've mothered and my thoughts instantly came to my family. I have 23 examples of being a mother to my nieces and nephews. How blessed do I feel to not focus on the fact that I have not bore my own children, but that I can help mother 23 wonderful, beautiful, talented sons and daughters of our Heavenly Father!? Here are some examples:



Isaiah just turned six and on every birthday, I remind him (half jokingly) that I cut his umbilical cord. I had the pleasure of being there for Stephanie during the pregancy, delivery, and first few precious months of Isaiah's life. I look at this picture of him today and see that beautiful smile, full of joy and think how blessed that I can, in my own way be a mother to him!! At times I feel like his sister, because I tease him like he's my brother, but I had an experience months ago that reminded me how much Isaiah KNOWS I love him! Stephanie called me and told me that she had been telling Isaiah that he can pray for people who love him. He responded, "And I can pray for Monica, because she loves me." Such simple words, yet it immediately brought tears to my eyes because when he thought of people who love him, he thought of me. I am so blessed to be his auntie!

And then there's these crazy girls! I LOVE being an auntie to the older nieces! It's such a blessing to see these beautiful girls and their desire to do what is right. Being a teenager is hard, I remember that much. But how wonderful it is that I have the opportunity as a single woman, to be an example to them? While it's hard to imagine, these girls look up to me and actually WANT to be my friend! It is such a blessing to be able to be there to give advice, listen, and LOVE them irregardless of the decisions they make.


Yes, I see, I truly am a mother! Being a mother is so much more than having your own children. I am so glad that I had this discussion with my amazing girlfriends and realized that I don't need to long for some abstract, distant future but that I can use all of those qualities of motherhood now! Afterall, ETERNITY IS NOW!



4 comments:

Taylor said...

Very well said.

Stephanie said...

You are a good mommy, auntie, sister, and friend to Isaiah. I will always be greatful for those times we had together before I got married. You will always be special to Isaiah for that reason. I love you!

Heidi and Matt said...

You are just too darn cute!!! Love looking at all your pics!!!

ambistoes said...

You have such a good heart, cousin. I totally agree on your thoughts about motherhood.